What can we all do about Climate Change
Some useful tips on how we all can help mitigate climate change.
- Consider energy efficiency when building and running our homes and businesses.
- Examples include using the most energy efficient appliances and lighting, and the installation of solar panels and insulation
- Reduce the amount of waste we create – considering composting, or cutting out single-use plastic in favour of re-usables
- Look at how we use transport – cycle or walk more, or combine these with better use of public transport and carpooling.
- Reduce the number of flights you take, when possible, and offset your emissions when you fly. Consider purchasing an electric vehicle or using video conferencing instead of traveling to a meeting
- Plant trees on our own land or get involved in a community forest restoration project, and help New Zealand achieve the government’s ambitious target of planting one billion trees over the next ten years.
Nelson Tasman Climate Forum
As part of our Long Term Plan (2021-31) Nelson City Council is supporting the Nelson Tasman Climate Forum with $100,000 a year of funding for the first three years of the LTP. The Nelson Tasman Climate Forum is a community-led initiative open to everyone. They’ve produced a Climate Action Book which is filled with practical ways to lower your carbon footprint, such as taking broken household items to a Repair Cafe as this video shows.